The Louisiana Landmarks Society, which promotes historic preservation through education, advocacy, and operation of the Pitot House, today announces the fifteen winners of the 2016 Louisiana Landmarks Society Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation. These awards honor projects completed in Orleans Parish (outside of the French Quarter) in 2015 which represent outstanding examples of restoration or rehabilitation of historic buildings, as well as new construction in historic neighborhoods.
The 2016 Louisiana Landmarks Society Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation winners are:
1. 225 Baronne Mixed Use
HCI Architecture Inc., HRI Properties, Heritage Consulting Group, Looney & Associates
The project involved the rehabilitation of a circa 1962 28-story, 500,000 gross square foot skyscraper in the CBD. By incorporating an adjacent lot and constructing a historic tax credit-compliant parking ramp addition to the historic building the former office building was re-purposed as a 357-space parking garage, 188-room Aloft brand hotel, and 192 one and two bedroom apartment residences with two swimming pools.
2. Corpus Christi-Epiphany Community Resource Center | 2022 St. Bernard Ave.
Ryan Gootee General Contractors LLC, Archdiocese of New Orleans, Corpus Christi-Epiphany Catholic Church, Mathes Brierre Architects, Hewitt-Washington & Associates
Two existing school buildings that are part of the church were renovated. Changes were made to windows, interior walls, doorways, floors, plumbing, electrical, mechanical equipment as well as the roof in certain areas. All windows and doors were replaced with windows and doors that replicate what was there previously, in style and in color. An additional 2300 square feet of space was added to the existing building along with an elevator.
3. 566 Emerald
Maury Strong and Ron Caron, studioWTA, DeltaTech Construction, Ashton Avegno, Evans+Lighter Landscape Architecture
This is a full rehabilitation of an Architectural Record 1955 “Record House,” originally designed by renowned New Orleans modernist architects Curtis & Davis. Rehabilitation involved a complete rebuilding of the house after decades of neglect, a damaging renovation in the 1990s, and massive water damage from Hurricane Katrina. The rehabilitated home restores key original design features such as the deep mono-pitch overhang over the south façade while fulfilling Curtis & Davis’ original planned intent for a master bedroom suite at the southwest corner of the house with large outdoor patios connecting all main rooms.
4. Giani Building | 600 Canal St.
Woodward Design+Build, Canal at Camp LLC
The project combines three disparate buildings at 600 Canal St., 604 Canal St. and 113/117 Camp St. into one, cohesive facility. Underutilized for decades, the building retains ground floor retail and now offers 33 one-bedroom and 10 two-bedroom apartments, along with a three-bedroom penthouse, rooftop deck and swimming pool.
5. 825 Girod
Eskew+Dumez+Ripple|Architecture, Rick Fifield-Preservation Architect, Ryan Gootee General Contractors LLC
A 2-story masonry warehouse and attached single story garage/warehouse were renovated into first floor office space for a local technology company as well as a single residence on the upper floors. The apartment build-out includes a rooftop pool and outdoor kitchen. The project goes to great lengths to reveal and express its history by exposing masonry walls and wood framing of the original historic warehouse.
6. The Howard | 833 Howard Ave.
Trapolin-Peer Architects APC, Woodward Design+Build, de la Tour Holdings LLC, Melissa Legier Designs LLC
Presented with a 1926 building with a number of code issues, the design team succeeded in converting a neglected office building into 15 luxury apartments with ground floor retail. Sensitivity to the historic building drove all design and construction decisions including a seven-story addition with a footprint of only 600 square feet. Restoration of the original oak floors along with exterior features has returned this iconic structure to use and prominence.
7. 301 Magazine
Gibbs Construction, Sustainable Architecture LLC, MAG 301 LLC
This monumental granite faced structure was built in 1843 as the Bank of Louisiana. Its renovation created ground floor retail space along with a total of eight apartments on the second and third floors and a fourth floor penthouse apartment. Construction at a compact site on a busy downtown intersection required careful and detailed coordination. Existing brick walls were reinforced with new structural steel beams on the second and third floors, new structural steel columns were added to support floors, and a rear masonry wall was rebuilt due to fire damage. As much of the existing wood flooring as possible was salvaged and reinstalled.
8. Orpheum Theater | 129 Roosevelt Way
Dr. Eric George, Mary and Roland von Kurnatowski, Eskew+Dumez+Ripple|Architecture, Jack Sawyer-Project Architect, Rick Fifield-Preservation Architect, Fountainbleau Construction, Brett Olive and Jim Elder-Project Managers
The restoration of the Orpheum Theater, the home to the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, included a complete reassessment of the theater as a venue to allow both stage presentation and use as a meeting space. The work to restore the theater included careful restoration of the interior decorative elements including a study of and complete repainting of the interior color scheme; restoration of the entrance lobby’s terracotta and plaster arrangement defaced in an earlier renovation; new mechanical systems; lighting; and the introduction of new amenities for patrons.
9. Our Lady of Good Counsel | 1243 Louisiana Ave.
Ryan Gootee General Contractors LLC, Koch and Wilson Architects, Archdiocese of New Orleans
This renovation included upgrades of electrical and plumbing systems of the church, considerable interior improvements, and a restoration of the exterior. New wood flooring installed in the sacristy and narthex have renewed the interior along with refinished floors in other main areas. Rectory renovations include mechanical and ADA upgrades and the installation of a new steel stair tower for accessibility. New plaster and millwork and a new shingle roof contribute to the renovation of the exterior.
10. Rectory of St. John the Baptist Church | 1139 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
Felicity Redevelopment Inc., Alfredo Moran Construction LLC
The rehabilitation of the rectory of St. John the Baptist Church, a gothic-trimmed house originally constructed in 1895, now accommodates six offices and one apartment space, with improvements coordinated with NORA’s Façade RENEW Grant Program. The rehabilitation mostly reversed 1960s-era interior and exterior alterations that covered historic features. The work included restoring interior pocket door openings, exposing original wood flooring, restoring original wooden siding, removing metal enclosures on the rear porch, and stripping and repainting nearly all woodwork.
11. 2200 Royal
2200 Royal Street LLC, Steven J. Finegan Architects, Portico Construction Inc., Walter Zehner Consulting Engineering, Nicole Donnes Interior Design, Dale Robertson, Holly Mandot
The rehabilitation of this building, a 2-story masonry 1840s era building that housed a bakery for a century before serving as office space, converts the ground floor into the restaurant, SukhoThai. Exposed and renewed historic masonry archways, full height cast iron columns, and the original transom openings of French doors revealed themselves during the interior demolition process. The challenge became to adjust the design of the space to allow these features to become prominent on the main floor.
12. The Saint Anna | 1823 Prytania St.
Winingder Enterprises LLC, studioWTA, Felicity Property Co. LLC, Palmisano Contractors, Harmon Engineering LLC, Daly Sublette Landscape Architects
The rehabilitation of St. Anna’s, a masonry and plaster building constructed in 1853 as an asylum which later included an infirmary, adapts the buildings into 23 modern multi-family residential units while maintaining the historic elements of the site. The restoration renews its classical elements such as tri-glyphs, dentils, frieze crenellation, two-story columns and a fan light. Hand restoration of plaster scoring and penciling and new brick and mortar façade complete the exterior renovations aimed to preserve original elements whenever possible.
13. St. Roch Market | 2381 St. Claude Ave.
Lee Ledbetter & Associates, Lucien T. Vivien Jr. & Associates, Kyle Associates, Spackman Mossop+Michaels, Williams Architects, City of New Orleans Capital Projects, Lathan Company, Bayou Secret, SES Enterprises LLC
This project is an historic rehabilitation of a City of New Orleans owned market designed by architect/city surveyor William H. Bell and constructed in 1875 by William H. Reynolds. The renovated market largely echoes a 1937 rehabilitation that added the ceiling at the top of the clerestory windows in the market area. A new metal standing seam roof matching the 1937 profile and cleaned and sealed brick renew the exterior. The rehabilitated and reconstructed clerestory windows allow for ample light to flow into the market, a renewed space for the community.
14. The Wiltz Gym | 3041 N. Rampart St.
Wiltz Properties LLC, Kupperman Companies LLC, Federated Historic Holdings LLC, Concordia Architects, Beier Construction
The historic Wiltz Gym was built in 1916 and served as a Boys & Girls Club for the Orleans Parish School District from 1916 until 2003. After a decade-long abandonment, the building was collapsing, overgrown, and without a roof. The restoration stabilized the structure, refreshed its exterior with new paint and lawn work, and included the installation of a new roof. It now contributes to the character of the Bywater neighborhood as NOLA Bark Market—a doggy daycare, pet retail shop, and art supply studio.
15. Special Achievement: Tom Winingder for 1520-22 Felicity, 912 Napoleon, and 1437 Urania (Pictured in this order below)
Winingder Enterprises LLC, Felicity Property Co., Barron and Toups Architects, Steve Olson-Project Architect, Kendall Schindler, Priscilla Jordan, Cacioppo Contractors Inc., Da Vinci Builders
These three projects represent a body of work initiated by Tom Winingder and carried out by his team under his leadership. The renovations brought significant exterior and interior changes and positively impact the streetscape and neighborhood. 1520-22 Felicity, circa 1890, built as a two-story double, was later divided into seven apartments and now contains four luxury townhouse apartments respecting the building’s original double configuration. 912 Napoleon, completed in 1922 and designed by Favrot & Livaudais as a convent for the St. Vincent Society, was brought back into commerce as high-end apartments with off-street parking after being vacant six years after Katrina. 1437 Urania involved the conversion of a later 19th century single residence with rear service wing into a two-family residence, addressing deterioration while restoring its original character.
Nominations for the 2016 Awards were submitted from individuals, companies, and organizations. Of particular interest were projects which:
- Demonstrated that historic preservation could be a tool to revitalize older neighborhoods
- Showed that historic preservation is "green" and sustainable
- Supported the cultural and ethnic diversity of the preservation movement
- Were creative examples of saving a historic building
- Involved properties that utilized various federal or state tax incentive programs
- Represented new design that is appropriate to historic neighborhoods
The Selection Committee included: Louisiana State Historic Preservation Office’s Nicole Hobson-Morris; Tulane School of Architecture's Professor Eugene Cizek; City archivist, Sally Reeves; Historic District Landmarks Commission’s Jim Amdal; architectural historian Hilary Irvin; LLS trustees Charles Berg AIA, Sandra Stokes; LLS ex officio board member Casey Stuart; and LLS Executive Director Walter Gallas.